Subject: Re: [Leica] Nathan's PAW 44 - Halloween
From: "Michael Abbott" <lists@mabot.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 15:25:30 +0200

> Incidentally, it looks on the scans as if the black areas, especially
> from the witch's clothing, "bleed" into the surrounding bright areas.
> This is not on the negative, at least as far as I can tell with a 10x
> loupe, so it is a scanning artifact. I wonder if it indicates the need
> to clean my LS-2000? I have not seen this effect before.

It sounds like you're having much the same problem with the LS-2000 that
I've just discovered, with light areas on the neg flaring onto the
surroundings. It shows up on slides too, white leaks onto black.

I was worried it might be mis-aligned optics, from transporting the scanner
(which I borrow some weekends) without it's locking screws in place.

Please tell me you haven't moved yours recently. Because then it must be
dust on the lens, which means it's not my fault! And probably easier to fix.
Anyone know how to clean a scanner's lens?

My example: (as one line!)
http://www.mabot.com/images/2001/0106-0531%20sjc%20may%20ball%20morning%20ph
otographer.html
which is the 2nd-last picture on the page
  http://www.mabot.com/cambridge00/mayball.html
which I put up mostly for a few friends to see. Fuji 400 in a nikon zoom p+s
(gasp).

Michael

(lurking for a week, with a III as credentials!)

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Nathan's PAW 44 - Halloween)