Subject: Re: [Leica] Photodo ratings for 35mm Summilux -MASPH and 50mmSummilux-M
From: "Barney Quinn" <Barney.Quinn@noaa.gov>
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2001 15:47:33 -0500

Tom,

An observation/question and a short story...... I agree about the
numbers thing, and how it leads to dissatisfaction, and sales. Let's say
one has the lens with a rating or 3.5. The marginal utility, IMHO, of
getting the 3.7 lens because one "just has to have it" is very, very
low. I've been down this road and cost myself lots of money I really
didn't have to spend.

I have a very close friend. He is an EE who has spent his life doing
audio. He has a well deserved national reputation. The first time people
go to his house they are quite surprised to discover that he has an
excellent sounding, but quite modest by audiophile standards, sound
system. When you ask him about it he will tell you that he spent a
modest sum to get himself 90% of the way there. The next step up would
require spending another $10,000, and his plan is to sit in front of the
speakers he has and enjoy drinking every drop of that ten grand! I never
thought about it this way before, but maybe he's the Ted of audio! :-)

Barney

PS - I understand that there is such a thing as good and bad quality.
But, I think that it is fair to say that one can get too taken with
marginal differences.