Subject: Re: [Leica] Photodo ratings for 35mm Summilux -MASPH and 50mm Summilux-M
From: "George Weir" <george@georgeweir.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 15:36:52 -0500

Thought I'd chime-in here:
I spent Tuesday afternoon in the darkroom printing; at the end of each
session printing client stuff I usually reward myself by doing a few
prints for myself.
I made three prints, (full frame on 8.5 x 11 paper) part of a pipe band
series I've been working on for the past two years.
Two of  the prints were shot with a Nikon 35 f2 lens (3.9 photodo
rating) and one was shot with a 35mm f1.4 asph.(3.8 photodo rating).

Same film, same developer, same paper etc. Straight prints all, no
dodging burning etc.

The glow, the look, sparkle whatever it is really makes the 35 summilux
image stand out, actually it doesn't stand it leaps right up at the
viewer and says "Now I know that the Photodo figures say that your other
35mm lens is better than I am what do you think?".

I think the numbers just don't tell the whole story.
Side by side the differences are nothing short of astounding.
So much so that I know that I will have my work cut out for me printing
all the rest of my Nikon negs and trying to get them look like the
summilux stuff.

In an unscientific test the following correctly identified the "best
image"
two other pro's
12 yo son (good wee shooter, not too much printing experience)
14 yo daughter (prints with me sometimes in darkroom)
xx yo wife (does not shoot nor print but has seen more prints than had
hot breakfasts and can spot a good print any day)
16 yo son's girlfriend (no photo experience whatsoever)
however
16 son got it right on the second or third try! (Indoor Lacrosse season
starts this week so his head isn't quite there!!)

All good things to you and yours

George

George Weir Photography
www.georgeweir.com