Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Users digest V21 #65
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2001 14:26:13 -0500

Guy Bennett wrote:

> > While the Zuiko
> >glass may not be up to the standards of some folks here, I would argue
> >that there are very few folks here or anywhere who are good enough to
> >get the best out of their Leica lenses when working under real life
> >conditions anyway.
> >B. D.
>
> This notion has come up before here on the LUG, and I've got to admit I'm
> puzzled by it as it implies that certain people are not good enough to be
> using their own equipment. What exactly does that mean? They lack technical
> competency? Aesthetic competency? Both? And according to criteria
> established by whom? Professional photographers? Manufacturers? Experts
> here on the LUG?

Hi, Guy - Why is it that I suspect you know exactly what I'm saying?

It has nothing to do with pro/amature, competency or lack of. It has to
do with the fact that modern Leica lenses - and I'm not suggesting that
this isn't also the case with the top lenses produced by some other
manufacturers - are technically capable of a good deal more than most of
us will ever get out of them under normal field, developing, and
printing conditions. That doesn't mean that the photos produced with
them aren't great photos - after all, everyone knows that owning a Leica
turns one into HCB, Salgado, etc. take your pick. It just means that
whether we're shooting the grandchildren on Halloween, or Rwandan
refugees in a rain storm, we won't get what someone like Erwin will get
while photographing a test chart on a bench.

B. D.

Message from Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com> (Re: [Leica] Leica Users digest V21 #65)