Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Users digest V21 #65
From: Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 09:00:10 -0800

> While the Zuiko
>glass may not be up to the standards of some folks here, I would argue
>that there are very few folks here or anywhere who are good enough to
>get the best out of their Leica lenses when working under real life
>conditions anyway.
>B. D.

This notion has come up before here on the LUG, and I've got to admit I'm
puzzled by it as it implies that certain people are not good enough to be
using their own equipment. What exactly does that mean? They lack technical
competency? Aesthetic competency? Both? And according to criteria
established by whom? Professional photographers? Manufacturers? Experts
here on the LUG?

Who *is* good enough to be using Leica gear? Salgado certainly seems worthy
of that distinction. But what about Capa, whose work was frequently sloppy,
due in part to his real life shooting conditions? I know he used Contaxes
too - did someone take his Leicas away 'cause his work wasn't up to Leica
potential?

This issue seems absurd at best. If you're getting good results from your
equipment, whatever make it is, than the correlation of your relative
competence to the potential quality afforded by your gear is meaningless.
And results is what it's all about, isn't it?

Guy

Replies: Reply from "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] Leica Users digest V21 #65)
Reply from Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com> (Re: [Leica] Leica Users digest V21 #65)