Subject: Re: [Leica] Photodo ratings for 35mm Summilux -MASPH and 50mm Summilux-M
From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 21:38:17 -0800

Ray  Moth wrote:

>>I was quite surprised to see that Photodo - link
> http://www.photodo.com/prod/lens/leicam.shtml#LeicaM - rates the 35mm
> Summilux ASPH as the worst M lens they have ever tested, with an overall
rating of only 3.8.<<<<<<

Ray old buddy,
I'd not give this testing nonsense an eye lash width of attention simply
because these people are all bench testy touchy people who don't read the
remarks of  users on the streets like many here on the LEG or LUG, nor the
many hundreds of others who take real time pictures with the lens used in
both an amateur and professional capacity day to day.

It's test bench stuff silliness and has absolutely no relevance to users and
their day to day results! Why you even mentioned the LEG archives and the
positive comments found there of users in the group, everyone, well pretty
close I imagine, feel the lens is a cracker jack for cutting images on film.

I've been using the 35mm Summilux 1.4 since it's conception and of late have
been using along side it, the ASPH 35mm Summilux 1.4 and I see the
differences without question. However, this doesn't mean there's anything
wrong with the non-Aspheric 35 1.4, it's just the look is different.

For some the bonus of the ASPH is that it cuts sharper negs and it looks
sharper and crisper, however that's mainly wide open a 1.4, after that the
older version hangs on extremely well in image quality with a different "old
world glow" at 1.4.

On occasion I like that look, although I never knew what the hell it was
until joining the LUG and LEG, I just knew I liked how the prints looked at
16X20.

This testing BS has never been of any interest to me at any time in my
career, as my parameters have always been simple, aperture, the fastest
possible, how close it'll focus and that it stays together while being used
by a professional photographer in the many venues of life on a day to day
basis.

The rest is merely poppy cock BS ! Of course this is one of my usual candid
opinions offered freely about the techie number stuff! ;-)
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant

Replies: Reply from Feliciano di Giorgio <feli@d2.com> (Re: [Leica] Photodo ratings for 35mm Summilux -MASPH and 50mm Summilux-M)