Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: Tele-Elmarit and others
From: Phil Marcus <pmarcus@swbell.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 12:46:12 -0600

I've told this one before, so excuse me for repeating myself.

I bought a Tele-Elmarit with a slightly marked from element (from a low
filter).  The lens was sharp, but has rather low contrast, especially
wide-open.  I sent it in to Sherrie Krauter, who cleaned it and sent it back
for $50.  It came back a different lens.  Now it's sharp and contrasty even
wide-open.  There was no evidence of fog when I checked the lens.  Clean
counts for a lot.  Optical quality of the lens is excellent, mostly
indistinguishable from any other 90mm.  Wide-open under a microscope I'm
sure the new Elmarit is better.