Subject: [Leica] Ready to take the R plunge
From: "Simon Lamb" <simon@sclamb.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 17:03:18 -0000

I am about to make a leap into Leica SLR territory with a swap out of
Hasselblad territory (as I hardly use the Hassy and it is gathering dust).

I have selected the following as my initial kit and would welcome
ideas/comments as to whether there are better options or alternatives to
consider.  The decision is to add SLR capabilities with zoom functions to my
prime lens M6 set-up.  The R kit is as follows:

R8
Motor Drive R8 (want this for the bracketing capability and the vertical
release/grip)
35-70mm
80-200mm
Option of 2x ROM extender for 1/2 list price although I would be at f/8 at
the fat end of the zoom
Option of 100 Macro for 2/3 of list price

Forgetting the 'options' for now, I think this would be a great start with a
reasonable zoom range coverage, albeit not fast lenses by Leica standards.
I tend to use Provia 400F a lot so I could make up a stop or two in the film
choice that I lose in the lens choice.  Any comments on the 80-200 and 35-70
(say as opposed to the 28-70)?  In the price range they seem to be the best
bet (can't afford anything like the 70-180 f/2.8 yet!).

Any users of these lenses with opinions?

I will search the archives but latest thoughts are sometime valuable so
anything welcome.

Thanks.

Simon

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Ready to take the R plunge)