Subject: Re: [Leica]Lens speed complainers...
From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 15:34:52 -0800

Marc Attinasi wrote:
>>I thought it was ironic that some people consider a 3.5-4.0 zoom too slow
for practical use, since I generally shoot at 5.6 or smaller anyway. Also,
millions of users seems pleased as punch with their 4.0-5.6 zooms because it
is the focal lenght that they want. <<<<

Hi Marc,
For the amateur the slower aperture is fine and changing from 3.5 to 4 or
whatever has never been any kind of lens I'd bother with as a working
professional, as fast is best and faster faster is even better.
Particularly if you work by low light or indoors on many of the assignments.

Even though indoor shoots are predominantly prime lens and not zoom, a 2.8
zoom can be used quite handily in many situations, but if the aperture isn't
a constant under those conditions one might as well throw the lens away, or
I suppose not bother purchasing in the first place.

In the reality of this day and age of  lens production and what we see many
other lens manufacturers popping out lens after lens with a 2.8 aperture, it
seems almost ridiculous and antiquated to produce any kind of lens less than
2.8 .

And I agree, if it's a Leica it must have the Leica glass expected
quality..I.E.: the
70-180 APO 2.8 for example!  A stellar lens against any others made by
anyone.

And yes they cost more, but that's life.

Your point on the qualities of many films these days as in, higher ASA
ratings is well made as some of them at 400 or even pushed one to 800
produce amazing results, therefore using them with a 3.5--4 lens to increase
the "lens speed" through film rating is one way of looking at using slower
glass.

However, the bottom line for me since I became a professional user of Leica
equipment in '63 has always been, purchase Leica lenses on the fastest
aperture size first and anything else came second!  Simply because I'm a
true believer in using the existing light that motivates one to take the
picture in the first and as little flash as possible, if ever at any time I
can get away without it.

And any lens changing aperture size just doesn't cut it........ Leica or no
Leica!

This the a perspective of a working pro Leica user.
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant