Subject: [Leica]28 Summicron/Biogon comparison
From: "Dan States" <dstate1@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 23:27:47 +0000

Last week I took the plunge and purchased the 28 Summicron.  To date my
favorite wide angle has been the 28 Zeiss Biogon for my G1.  It is extremely
sharp and distortion free.  I had hesitated to purchase the Elmarit 28
because from all indications I have found there just wasn't much difference
in the performance of the Biogon and the Elmarit.

I'll start by saying this about the Summicron after 6 rolls of film:  Wow!

This sucker is amazing in it's sharpness at every aperture, flare resistance
and control of distortion!

In a test roll of TMAX 100 (same roll for both cameras) I have found the
Summicron to be better at f2.0 than the Zeiss is at 2.8!  In particular, the
clarity and resolution of the corners of the image are DRAMATICALLY better.
At F 4.0 the difference is tighter, but with the definite edge in fine
detail resolution going to the Summicron.  After this both lenses are
simply,equally, amazing.

A note to the picky:  All shots were tripod mounted, same roll, same
exposure settings and focus points.  All negatives were examined under a
grain focusing maginifier and also printed on Ilford RC, glossy.

I would have been quite satisfied if the Summicron only equaled the Zeiss,
and gave me an extra stop to boot.  The Summicron 28 is the first f2.0 wide
angle I have owned that can compete with the Summicron 50 for image quality
at f2.0.

A final note:  I was also suprised with the much greater resistance to flare
of the Summicron.  While the Zeiss does surpass my older generation 35 and
50 Summicrons in this respect, it is simply not in the same catagory as the
28 Summicron.

Best wishes
Dan States
Madison WI