Subject: Re: [Leica] New R ASPH lens
From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2001 11:22:41 -0700

Pascal wrote:
>>> Guess the few remaining Zeiss-manufactured R 15/3.5 lenses will
seriously go
> down in price (slower and very probably a lesser performer compared to the
> new Schneider lens). At least there is one sunny side to this :-)<<<<

Hi Pascal,
It's all well and good for a new R 15 2.8 asph coming on the market, but to
be serious.... it unfortunately will be some enormous price which few of us
can afford..... no matter how well it cuts images into film.

And certainly for a professional buying new gear unless we can honestly make
it pay for itself, of course when we buy many of our Leica lenses and bodies
we never think in that fashion... we just get them!  ;-)  Then worry like
hell after because we blew so much working capital for a lens used only a
few times a year.

And yes some of those "once a year moments" because we do have the lens
makes us look like we are the world's greatest photographers. Well OK, not
bad shooters. ;-)

But as far as the 3.5 15mm goes I sure don't have any complaints, as it's an
outstanding lens and I can't imagine popping for a newer one for a stop and
Aspherical glass when 99.9 % of clients don't care if the images are
Aspherical coke bottle bottoms or ten thousand dollar Leica glass.... they
just want outstanding images and they don't care what we use.

I'd not get too hully gully about an R 15mm 2.8 asph. until I see the
price..... you may get a very nervous stomach in a hurry! :-(
ted.

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant