Subject: Re: [Leica] To Buy or Not to Buy: a Leica 0
From: V8PWR@aol.com
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 13:45:35 EDT

Dans un courrier daté du 25/10/01 20:50:55 Paris, Madrid (heure d'été),
bampolsk@csc.com a écrit :

> OK, ladies and gents,  It's been a while since I lurked on this list, and
>  even longer since I posted anything.  So, now I have an interesting
>  problem.  I have an opportunity to purchase a brand new gorgeous Leica 0.
>  I'd really like to buy it.  But, I've never bought a camera for the sake of
>  collecting (my kit includes an M6TTL, an M5, an M2 and a Leicaflex SL).  On
>  the one hand, I really love this camera; on the other hand, the chances of
>  actually using it are slim to none (ok, maybe I'd run a couple of rolls
>  through for giggles just to see what Leica enthusiasts circa 1924 had to
>  deal with).  In short, it is likely to live in its box, perhaps to be
>  brought out occasionally for the sole purpose of paying homage to Oscar
>  Barnack.  Maybe eventually, I'd even buy a glass case for it.  But!!  The
>  idea of buying a camera simply to collect it really doesn't compute for me.
>  Does anyone have any good reasons why or why not to buy this beauty?  Other
>  than that I love it  of course.
>
>  Regards,
>
>  Brian

I'm in the same situation Brian , I have a huge love for well made mecanical
things ,
hence my love for V8 engines and Leica , but I have learned that this passion
has
to have some sort of utility .
If you like that kind of things ( like the O ) , why not consider a mint and
expensive
IIIF ? I think you 'd pay even less than the the O for a mint IIIF .
Add a descent foldable lens and a sporty viewfinder , and you've got your
everyday camera , the one you slide under your pillow before sleeping !
I'm just wondering why I'm not doing this myself ?
Take care

Jo Goodtimes , France