Subject: Re: [Leica] Rangefinder Misalignment
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 09:15:07 +0200

Tina,

I am with Mark here. Maybe your camera bag is well padded, or perhaps you have
simply been lucky. But if you use a Domke or an M-Classic bag or some other
non-padded bag, then vibrations on a plane or in a car can be a real issue. I
usually travel in my Domke and make sure that either the bag is on an empty
seat in the airplance (easy to find these days...) or is on top of something
soft in the overhead bin. Same thing in the car, either on a seat, or if the
seats are all occupied by family units, then on top of something soft in the
trunk.

And the worst vibrating vehicle I have is my Suzuki GS500E motorcycle which I
ride almost daily. On it, I either carry the Domke satchel over my shoulder,
courier-style, so the it rests on the soft seat behind me, or I put it in my
topcase, but on top of my soft briefcase or a small pillow which I keep in the
garage expressly for that purpose.

Nathan

Tina Manley wrote:

> But, Mark, my cameras ride in airplanes all the time and on the floor of
> jeeps crossing dry and wet rivers and mountains and on my shoulders
> bouncing along on donkeys and I've never had them re-aligned that I know of
> - I wouldn't recognize it if they needed it.  All of the screws vibrated
> out of my Noctilux mount once in a jeep in Honduras, but the rangefinders
> still seemed fine.  How can you tell if they are misaligned?   Should I be
> getting them realigned after every trip?  I usually just send in my Leicas
> after I've dropped them in a river or something.
>
> Tina
>
> Tina Manley, ASMP
> http://www.tinamanley.com
> images available from http://www.pdiphotos.com