Subject: RE: [Leica] Third Quarter Viewfinder
From: leica@davidmorton.org
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 02:24:55 +0100

Emanuel Lowi wrote:

"I bought a near Mint looking M4-2 some months ago. It seemed a little
finicky so I
sent it over to one of the illustrious Leica repair people oft-mentioned
here. It
came back, after some work, with the message that the best that could be
done had
been done. The camera, I was told, was a good example of the sub-standard
fit and
finishing which characterized many M4-2 bodies. Without many parts being
changed, it
could not be adjusted up to the standards of the earlier M cameras."

I took my M4-2 to Solms, and they virtually rebuilt it - with *many* new
parts - for under UKP200. You took yours somewhere else and they shrugged
and did the best they could.

Your experience would seem to say more about the non-Leica service you chose
to use, than anything else.

- --
David Morton
dmorton@journalist.co.uk

"There are only two services that images can offer the afflicted. One is to
find the story that expresses the truth of their affliction. The second is
to find the words that can give resonance, through the crust of external
circumstances, to the cry that is always inaudible: "Why am I being hurt?"
- -- Simone Weil