Subject: Re: [Leica] Washington DC
From: Simon Stevens <simon@camera-craftsman.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 21:00:25 -0400

Don:

I would mainly recommend that you try also to see something other than
just the federal city. It's easy to overlook the fact that this is a
real vibrant city and if you spend all your time on the Mall you won't
meet a single Washingtonian or take a single picture that doesn't look
like a postcard. I'd suggest trotting up to Adams Morgan to sample one
of the most diverse communities with lots of street activity to
photograph. It's a great place to get dinner too & is especially noted
for a bazillion really good Ethiopian restaurants.

Don't drive - parking is abysmal. The easiest way is to take a cab or
take Metro (Red Line) to Dupont Circle & walk up 18th Street, or Woodley
Park/Zoo and walk along Calvert Street (crossing the Duke Ellington
Bridge).  Either way is a 10-15 minute walk to the heart of Adams
Morgan, which is just north of Florida Avenue on 18th.

My other recommendation is to try to see the monuments at night,
especially the Vietnam Wall, Lincoln Memorial & maybe the Jefferson
Memorial if you have time and don't mind the walk.

Have fun!

Simon Stevens
N.E. Washington, DC

>I have an opportunity to spend a tourist day (Sunday) in Washington
D.C. It