Subject: Re: [Leica] Rangefinder Misalignment
From: John Collier <jbcollier@powersurfr.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 17:15:09 -0600

There are truly buckets of posts in the archives on this topic. First make
sure you are selecting to search the whole archive and not just the last
volume. The present volume only goes to the first of October. Second loosen
up on the search. Almost all M cameras have rangefinders and all R cameras
do not, so just search for rangefinder, misalignment and adjustment.

Now to the vertical alignment issue. It is normally adjusted with a special
tool through the access hole hidden by the infamous "red dot". You can
remove the top plate to adjust it without the special tool but you need
special tools to remove the top plate :-). Some people have reached into the
access hole with a nasty screwdriver and tweaked it but I cannot recommend
that It will invalidate your warranty faster than you can say "Herr Cohn"
(CEO of Leica).

You need to do two things. First, return the camera for an adjustment under
warranty. Second, find a Leica repair tech that is close to you should you
need to readjust it again.

I am planning on buying the special tool ($250US or so) when my passport
warranty runs out. So far I have needed it about once a year so it would pay
for itself fairly quickly. None of my misalignments were the camera's fault
and all developed after severe operator induced stress.

John Collier

Replies: Reply from Dan Cardish <dcardish@sympatico.ca> (Re: [Leica] Rangefinder Misalignment)
Reply from "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com> (Re: [Leica] Rangefinder Misalignment)