Subject: Re: [Leica] parallel vs zigalign
From: Jesse Hellman <hellman@home.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 17:33:50 -0400

I have a Versalab Parallel and love it. It costs $170, much less than
the Zigalign, and is more flexible. It is accurate within tolerances
closer than those to which you can keep your enlarger. For instance, I
can set the enlarger up perfectly (it takes minutes to use), but when I
change lens boards, or extend the bellows (Saunders LPL) the enlarger
may then be out of parallel a little bit. But it is easy to check and correct.

Mark Rabiner loves the Zigalign, which says a lot for it. It does seem
elegant, but honestly I could not decipher how to use it by reading
their website, so thought that it may well be over-engineered. And expensive.

John Bicht, who runs Versalab, built the Versa turntable, one of the
most accurate ever for even the most fastitious audiophile. If the
Parallel is accurate enough for him, it is for me.

Jesse