Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: Gitzo Monopods & others
From: Rob McElroy <idag@pce.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 20:44:38 -0400

Neil,

Make sure and check out the Manfrotto/Bogen monopods.  They are the best pods for the money AND most importantly they can be raised and lowered with
one hand, while the Gitzo's can not.  Gitzos, while built very well, need both hands to adjust their height; one hand to hold the lower section and
one hand to turn the locking collar.  It's a pain when you're trying to change the monopod's height quickly.

My personal favorite monopod is Manfrotto's Automatic Monopod #3245 which allows you to squeeze the trigger-grip at the top of the pod to instantly
raise or lower it.  Did you ever have to drop to your knees quickly to adjust your photo's composition?  This is the fastest monopod available.
Manfrotto now has a 4-section carbon fiber model too.  Yes, you can certainly mount an Arca Swiss plate on top.

Here's a link to the Manfrotto monopods:
<http://www.bogenphoto.com/product_temp/itemlist.php3?manufid=1&sectionid=14>

Good luck,
Rob McElroy
Buffalo, NY