Subject: [Leica] Pellicle mirrors and dust
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 19:04:05 -0400

I've had a pellicle mirror on a reflex body for something like ten years.
Theoretically you do have two more surfaces to collect dust and crud but in
practice if you exercise reasonable caution there isn't a problem.  The
pellicle is so thin that it acts like a gelatin filter and has virtually no
effect on image quality.

Benefits are continuous viewing in a SLR so no blackout, much lower noise
and vibration.  This is a great system for very slow speed flash work for
creative pans and sharp/halo as you focus with flash second curtain.  I also
liked this system for macro as I didn't have to keep popping the mirror 2
seconds before each exposure and wait for things to settle down.

Down sides include very expensive replacement cost if you do damage the
pellicle and very diffuse spots if you leave dust on the pellicle.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com