Subject: Re: [Leica] Nathan's PAW 41 and 42
From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 06:06:42 -0700

Nathan Wajsman wrote and showed:
>>> Some took their tasks quite seriously, including dressing accordingly,
> like this little waiter:
>
> http://www.wajsman.com/41.jpg

>>> For week 42 I have a couple of infrared pictures. The main picture is of
> a vineyard near my house. The wine they make here around Lake Zurich is
> actually not worth drinking (except in emergencies) but the vineyard
> looks pretty:
>
> http://www.wajsman.com/42.jpg
>
> The alternate is another infrared picture, taken near Glarus, about 50km
> south of Zurich:
>
> http://www.wajsman.com/42alt1.jpg<<<<

Hi Nathan:
The main picture is another excellent moment in making good use of what
Leica camera's and lens do best.... '"if you can see it, you can shoot it!"
By using the available existing light you retain naturalness of the moment
and the look of the location.

Not to forget, you don't give yourself away with a "blinking flashing
twinkie light every few minutes!" ;-)  And without this, the children go
about doing their thing without becoming "camera conscious" and the parents
attention taken away from the event looking around to see who's taking
pictures.... which at any event is a big pain in the butt.Certainly when a
Leica user doesn't have the guts to shoot wide open with a slow shutter
speed.

The alternates:
> a vineyard near my house. The wine they make here around Lake Zurich is
> actually not worth drinking (except in emergencies) but the vineyard
> looks pretty:
>
> http://www.wajsman.com/42.jpg
>
> The alternate is another infrared picture, taken near Glarus, about 50km
> south of Zurich:
>
> http://www.wajsman.com/42alt1.jpg<<<<

The infrared vineyard is very well executed with a different look and nicely
composted  Very well done as this is the kind of scene and look which
encourages others to give infrared a try.

The roadway and field...
My nit picking comment! I think the composition could be improved if you'd
turned slightly to the right (as we are looking at the scene) moving the
road slightly to the left and taking it away from the "near centre line" of
the frame.

Or cropping a very small area on the left will accomplish the same thing.
But like I say, these are minor details of perceived improvement, of course
subjective as I see it on the screen.

good ones Nathan.
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited