Subject: [Leica] Re: Saving as 16 bit
From: Roy Feldman <royfel@mac.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 19:54:37 -0400

You wrote < When I scan my slides I have been using 16 bit.  The files are
about 56MB in
size when saved as a photoshop file.  I seem to remember somewhere that it
was advised that after manipulating the photo to convert it to 8 bit Tiff
format to save.  If I could use compressed Tiff format, that would greatly
increase the number of images I could put on a CD>
By all means save as 8 bit, the main advantage of 16-bit is to be able to
correct density and color
and not leave gaps (missing pixels) in your histogram (tooth comb). Once
density and color are corrected change to 8 bit.
There are a few exceptions to this but can be used as a general rule.
Roy Feldman
Ford Photographic
rfeldma1@ford.com