Subject: Re: [Leica] Homepages / crtique / smoking in the us of a.
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 08:40:54 -0500 (Central Daylight Time)

Rei, thanks for the heads up on what sounds like a great book,

And Mikko, for the record, smokers in america are looked upon with about the
same regard as child molesters----adulterers, thieves, embezzlers, etc..rank
above the smoker.  In most newer areas, there is NO smoking permitted
in any establishment.  Only CA has a "law", but if all chain stores and
restaurant require their individual operators to ban smoking, then the result is
the same as a law.
We have neurotic views about health in our country...eating a steak and drinking
hard liquor is seen as acceptable, but smoking an after-dinner cigar is not.
Wearing seat belts is mandatory, but preventative health care for our people is
spotty, at best.
If you go to the doctor with a broken wrist encountered while biking or skating,
both healthful activities, don't tell him that you smoked a cigarette on the way to
the emergency room.......he'll find some way to tie that in to your injury!!!

As for the constant anectdotal (sp) evidence by someone who has just lost a
loved one to whatever disease, first, I share in your grief, for whatever loss,
however, my "uncle" died from heart disease some years back...he probably ate
lots of bacon and cheeseburgers, and had a 'beer belly'.....but I don't hear
anyone screaming about banning McDonalds, or beer, or....................

I refuse to donate to any establishment (most recently NPR-KERA radio in Dallas)
that doesn't provide comfortable indoor accodomations for the quarter of our
population that smokes (something)...and I  ONLY frequent restaurants that do
the same.  After several shooting/vacation trips to California in the past,
they have seen the last of my meager funds....etc. etc. etc....

The rest of you do as you must, with your own money.......

If you're a smoker from Europe or Asia, and you desire to come to our country
for vacation, PLEASE inquire as to smoking restrictions BEFORE you choose an
area/hotel/etc....our businesses WILL NOT volunteer such information...and you
could be in for some surprises......PLEASE tell the potential travel agent/etc.
of your desires, and let them know you will not spend money if you're not
welcome...if you do not smoke, but someone in your party does, please keep this
in mind as well.

"When they came for the Jews, I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew"............

Best to you and yours
Walt