Subject: Re: [Leica] Homepages / crtique / smoking in the us of a.
From: Rei Shinozuka <shino@ubspainewebber.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 06:26:24 -0400 (EDT)

mikko,

maybe this can explain us kooky americans better:

  "Any sensual pleasure that can be edifying or life-enhancing is
   celebrated.  On the other hand, any pleasure that is counterproductive or
   dangerous is judged harshly.  So exercise is celebrated, but smoking is
   now considered a worse sin than at least 5 of the 10 commandments...
   ...we use the word _guilt_ more often in connection with unhealthy goods--
   high fat, high sodium or high calorie--than in any other context."

                              David Brooks, _Bobos in Paradise_ (2000):

(very funny book, by the way)

- -rei

Replies: Reply from Dan Cardish <dcardish@sympatico.ca> (Re: [Leica] Homepages / crtique / smoking in the us of a.)
Reply from Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net> (Re: [Leica] Homepages / crtique / smoking in the us of a.)