Subject: Re: RE: [Leica] M camera parts
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 10:21:32 -0500 (Central Daylight Time)

Hi Frank!!
On Thu, 18 Oct 2001 07:27:50 -0700 Frank Filippone
<red735i@earthlink.net> wrote:
> I agree that it CAN be done.  The question is whether it is something Leica
> WANTS to do.
>
> Remember the Null series, Modern LTM, and all the commemorative cameras?  In
> my opinion, they should not have been made.  It was a waste of resources
> that would have been better served in a new R or M camera or an improved
> 50mm Lens design.
I agree!!!.....on all points!
A non-ttl or even non-metered body would cost them NOTHING extra...Leica acts
as if they're still paying for R&D on this junk...that SHOULD have been absorbed
by 1958!!!...the changes are so slight and every one of them was to SAVE money,
the cameras should cost much LESS to make today, in adjusted dollars....

Once I was challenged to "manufacture" something, by the good-natured Tom A.
so I could "understand" the challenges....
Ironically I just "manufactured" FOUR amplifiers....even though I had a prototype,
the first one cost me $300 to build....by number four, I was down to $200....
(better deals/sources on parts/etc...) and of course, the fourth cost me
less time, too!!!....Leica has made a FEW M cameras, they should be getting
pretty good at it...I know their US representation doesn't spend much on
salaries, and they sure don't spend a lot on final QC and adjustment :) :) :)

> prices..  Competing with 50 years of lenses already sold and offered used at
> 1/2 to 1/5 of new prices, and trying to do so with limited resources, will
> be a different game.
WEll, that USED to be their problem...!!!
Now they have MUCH more to worry about!!!  I'd take a Nokton over THREE Summarits....
or a 90 APO Cosina over ANY elmar/elmarit OTHER than the current one....
The RF market is there, it was just a matter of time before others geared up...
as for Leica, after their attitude for the last 30 years, it couldn't happen to
a more deserving bunch of folks...

I'm worried about the future repairability of the Cosina bodies, tho....that's
why I'm considering a couple more user Ms for the future...to mount the Nokton/Apo/ETC
ON!!!!

Walt