Subject: [Leica] Hello, a newbie, and a question
From: "Gabe Bandy" <gbandy@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 08:28:13 -0700

Hello everyone - been reading and learning from the LUG for a bit over a
year now - a fascinating group and constantly enjoyable reading to say the
least. I'd like to introduce myself and hopefully become a more active
member, and ask a question. I hope I can contribute a bit. I am a fairly new
Leicaphile (3  years) after wandering in the Nikon/Canon/Contax/Olympus
woods for 25 years or so. For most of that time (I can see it now doctor!) I
was a hardware junkie rather than a photographer, but somehow all that
shooting must have rubbed some knowledge off on me and I find that I've
become pretty good. I've met a few LUG ers here in L.A. and have a Leica
mentor in Nigel (www.mrleica.com) newly of the Beverly Hills Camera Centre
(great Leica shop, gathering place, great advice). I'm now looking for some
recommendations please. I'm heading off to Yosemite this weekend for a few
days, and have suddenly decided to switch from my normal high speed
400/800/1600 Fuji color and b&w print films to re-discover the qualities of
chrome. I am VERY used to everything 400 - have been shooting TX for most of
my life and love Neopan 1600. I usually shoot indoor shadows, reflections
and nooks n' crannies - so going to bright sunshine for a few days will let
me use something a bit slower (not Velvia please - too slow). I'd like to
shoot at 1/1000 or 1/500 @ f5.6-f8. since I also despise tripods, and my
general lens will be the 28-35-50 f4. I'm also taking the 15mm and 25mm
Voigtlanders and an older 90 "thin" Elmar with a fast 50 for the dusk shots.
For the first time I'll have no SLR on a trip. The preceding statement would
lead me to an ISO 100-200 film(?) I guess. I'm looking for well saturated
colors but the ability to take an outdoor portrait or two, but not quite the
Velvia punch. For B&W I usually have a yellow or red filter in place, but
try to use nothing worse than a UV for color. Been reading about the new
Provia films both 100 and 400 and would LOVE to believe that the 400 is as
grainfree, sharp and saturated as the 100. Any experiences please, and if
yes what lab  - Fuji or independent? I greatly welcome recommendations and
experiences from the group on any good chrome films and thanks to all.
Cheers
Gabe Bandy
"No deposit no return"

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Hello, a newbie, and a question)