Subject: Re: [Leica] Piezo printing
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 10:11:22 -0400

Pablo Kolodny wrote:

> Well there I go with just a couple of question as a starting/bothering
> point:
>
> - what should be the usual output dpi resolution when printing Piezo ?
> I heard here and there and read some articles in mags and the net, some says
> 300 dpi, others 750 dpi ... I'm confused about that.

The output resolution is, in essence, not even something to think about. I use a
Polaroid sprint scan, and scan all my 35 mm at 4000 dpi. That gives me a
negative size, 4000 dpi image. I do all my photoshop work, and store the image,
at that resolution, which is a file of about 20 meg when in 8 bit mode. When you
print, you set the image size in photo shop and the output dpi is set
automatically - just make sure that you have the "resample image" box UNCHECKED
- - thus if you are printing, for example, an  8x 5ish image on 8.5x11 paper, the
output to the printer about 700 dpi. If you are printing an image size of 17x
11ish, the output to the printer will be about 330 dpi.

I'm a little confused about the next part, but it's my understanding that, if
you are using an Epson 1160, the Cone software tells the printer to print the
image at about 2100 dpi, which, if I am understanding this thing correctly,
simply means that you get a dot size and pattern so small that you don't see it
on your print....but the resolution of the print is set by that output size from
photoshop.

Now, Johnny or Tina can tell you I don't know what I'm talking about - and they
will be absolutely correct....But, DAMN, I get gorgeous prints!;-)

B . D.