Subject: [Leica] Re: HELP urgently needed
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2001 12:50:01 -0700

>On most computers, when new files are created or copied over top of
>original files, the new files are created first and then the
>original files are erased. But usually only one or two characters of
>their name is changed, in the disk directory. Ordinary unerase
>programs can usually recover these files because they are really not
>erased or damaged. Just the name is changed. At least this is how it
>works on a PC. If you have an apple, ask Godfrey DiGiorgi. The
>stickler is, if you have written to the disk after the mishap, there
>is a possibility that the OS could use the space that was (still is)
>occupied by the deleted file. The watchword is that if you ever make
>a mistake like this, do not use your computer for anything except
>running the unerase program. PC's come with a file utility that will
>unerase any file whose space hasn't been retaken. Even on Windoze,
>the trash bin collects erased files for recovery, basically forever.
>When erasing files on Windoze, you have to take a special effort
>(hold the shift key down) to erase a file and not have it retained
>in the trash bin.
>
>Jim
>

>At 12:37 PM 10/12/2001 -0500, lea wrote:
>>I sick and hope someone can help me.
>>
>>I ran an auto batch process in Photoshop to convert my .psd  images from
>>300 dpi to 75 dpi.
>>
>>Something in what I did was wrong because rather than write the 75 dpi
>>images into a new folder it overwrote the original 300 dpi ones.
>>AAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!
>>
>>So now my working images are all at 75 dpi and while many of them are
>>backed up onto cd rom I have some that are not.
>>
>>Can these 75 dpi images (all in .psd format) be converted back to 300
>>dpi without a loss in quality and how do I do it?
>>
>>Any help is most gratefully appreciated and I anxiously await any help.
>>Lea (with the nauseous stomach)
>>

>>--
>>Lea Murphy
>>Whiny Dog Press
>>816-333-9111
>>Home: http://www.whinydogpress.com
>>Newest: http://www.whinydogpress.com/new.html

Essentially the same thing happens on Macs, but most commercially
written batch processing of this sort does not allow using the same
filename, nor writing it to the same directory.

The problem with batch processing is that after one file is
processed, written to disk and then the old file trashed, the next
file that is processed and written can easily be written to the
sectors of the just previously trashed file. Not a good prospect. :-(

Genuine Fractals is not a real option. To get from 300ppi to 75ppi
every 16 pixels are replaced by one 'averaged' pixel. It's just to
much to ask a software program to correctly guess the individual
characteristics of 16 pixels from one pixel, even if the adjacent
ones are known.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design