Subject: Re: [Leica] Clear Plastic Tape (now Camera destruction)
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 15:23:25 -0500 (Central Daylight Time)

Mark, Mark, relax man....these guys can really get you going (they have
gotten me LIVID in the past---and I them)....but they're GREAT guys,
and occasionally gal....

Without re-starting the "leica as crappy investment" thread, I should admit
that I'm a photographer-turned-anal-retentive-leica-fondler-turned-photographer
again....I'm in remission, but I occasionally find myself cleaning under the
wind lever and around the shutter speed dial....it's a tougher habit than
drinking and smoking to break (I still do all that, too....)
Luckily, I have NOTHING wrapped in plastic anymore, and I've noticed obvious
marks on my "newest" (M4-P)..so now I can relax and shoot pictures....
I've still got some UV filters, but I won't buy any more if I trade/buy any
more lenses...it's a tough habit to break...
I used to put tape on the ends and bottom/top of the bodies, and if you INSIST,
clear bookbinder's tape is the stuff....but PLEASE reconsider...a little
brassing ("zincing" as one LUGGER called it!) ....IS GOOD FOR THE SOUL!!!!...

You will spend MANY times the amount of that M6 on car(s)
....THIS YEAR, probably...!!!!
I speak with empathy, friend....I had a near mint M4 in the closet for YEARS....
one day 5-6 years ago I said ENOUGH, took it out, put a strap on it, and have
used the hell out of it (I'm careful, it has MANY marks, but looks EXC)...BEST
camera I've ever had, love it, it ain't for sale, and I should have had it
OVER MY LEFT shoulder all those years it sat in plastic!!!--I sold my 'beater'
M2s, the ones that SOMEBODY else used for years, and bought a new body...it to,
is a "USER",  but all the wear is MINE!!!
Help is available, even here on the LUG......

For those who have never had these "afflictions", don't make fun of Mark...they're
REAL, and can be photographically devastating...I KNOW they were for me....I'm
still taking it a day at a time....I've taken my UV filters off and thrown them
in the trash (TED)....and dug them out and put them back on....and off...and on...
this is a REAL problem, and I don't want ya'll making light of it.....so lets
do the RIGHT thing, and HELP Mark....not make fun of his problem....

Have a great weekend,
Walt in Denton.

Replies: Reply from "Barney Quinn, Jr." <barney.quinn@noaa.gov> (Re: [Leica] Clear Plastic Tape (now Camera destruction))