Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica IIIc/LTM lenses/Jupiter...
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 14:49:04 -0400

Pablo, the first paragraph indicated that the shutters in the newer leica's
used more ball bearings in the shutters so less drag, more reliability, less
shutter bounce, generally a better unit.  Also, supposedly, the shutters in
the "red dial" are improved over the "black dial" on the IIIf models.

Generally, LTM lenses are cheaper than M lenses as many people have migrated
to the M and don't realize that their old lenses will work just fine with an
adapter.  The older lenses are also less expensive as the glasses used as
well as the coatings of the early 50's lenses were very soft and prone to
scratching.  Depending on the severity and/or how much you shoot into the
light the scratches and other flaws of old age may not matter.  Also, if you
find one cheap enough then you can afford to have a lens cleaned, polished,
and re-coated which is $100-$200 in the US, probably less expensive
elsewhere.

The Jupiter lenses can be the old Zeiss designs from the thirties with
modern coatings up to multi-coating on the very last production.  Production
tolerances were very large so I've found buying in person to be the best
recourse.  Price wise the Soviet lenses can be steals, I've seen the 50mm
F1.5 Sonnar  in Soviet clothing in the $50 range; although I paid around
$100 for mine in very clean condition.  Optically, it is a very satisfactory
lens especially with older 400 speed films like Tri-X or HP-5.  When I go to
the newer, slower films I miss the extra detail that the newer Leica glass
delivers.  Now that the archives are running again there has been much
comment about the Russian lenses.  Also, you might purchase a book on LTM
lenses available from a certain prominent member of this list; also in the
archives. :)

I find the collapsible Summicrons to be a great choice for the III series
cameras: if you find it hard to remember to pull the lens out then the
Jupiter 3(50mm F1.5) is almost as small and may be less flare prone.

Don Dory
dorysrus@mindspring.com

Replies: Reply from "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com> (Re: [Leica] Leica IIIc/LTM lenses/Jupiter...)
Reply from Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net> (Re: [Leica] Leica IIIc/LTM lenses/Jupiter...)