Subject: Re: [Leica] Image Stabilization revolutionises telephoto available light?
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 12:36:11 -0700

At 11:29 AM -0700 10/10/01, Ted Grant wrote:
>>  was taken with the Canon 100-400IS with a 1.4x converter, effective
>>  focal length 560mm, handheld under quite dark clouds at an 1/8 sec.
>>
>>  http://www.archiphoto.com/Recent/VermFly.jpg
>>
>>  I took about 12 pictures before it flew away, and of those, about 8
>>  are adequately sharp.<<<<<
>
>Way to go Henning, awesome camera handling even with IS ability.
>
>I believe the "longest lens - longest shutter speed" I ever hand held was
>the Leica Telyt 560 6.8 at a 1/15, with shoulder stock and motor drive with
>micro switch.
>
>But one is really shooting via the Hail Mary's and all other spiritual help
>on their side for success. :-)

Thanks, Ted!

I've shot handheld with long lenses for a while (starting with the
Leica 400/5) in all sorts of light, and my percentage goes way down
at less than 1/125 sec. 560/6.8 at 1/15 is quite a feat! Bet you
hadn't just jogged for ten minutes :-)

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design