Subject: Re: [Leica] Image Stabilization revolutionises telephoto available light?
From: Sipulmanjones@aol.com
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 13:15:28 EDT

Henning Wulff wrote:

I don't know about 'Leica style', but since I can consistently shoot
at 1/15 sec at 400mm with the 100-400IS lens, 1/15sec should be a
piece of cake with the 70-200. The addition of IS does not affect
optical quality in a lens. In my opinion image stabilization is one
of the most significant advances in camera design, as it truly allows
you to take pictures that were impossible before.

Henning,

The picture is pretty compelling evidence. It sounds as if the 70-200 does open up entirely new picture opportunities.  200mm at f2.8 at 1/15 changes the game on informal portraits in the kind of marginal lighting which is usually the most attractive kind. The closest that you will get to this (handheld) with Leica glass is the f2/180 Apo at f2 at 1/125 on a hope and a prayer.

Simon.

Replies: Reply from Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com> (Re: [Leica] Image Stabilization revolutionises telephoto available light?)