Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: OT:Helios 85/1.5
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2001 18:48:26 -0400

At 11:26 PM 10/4/01 +0200, Franck Maubuisson wrote:

>I don't know much about the history of the lens - except a Helios 40
existed in 39mm Zenit SLR mount long ago -  but I have a Helios 40-2 I
bought new a long time ago and used quite a lot. Image quality wide open is
rather poor, little definition (less than my summarit 1.5/50) and poor
contrast. It doesn't like strong backlighting, either. Getting an
appropriate shade (3 filters came with the lens but no shade) is quite
essential. Colors are warm but nice, only slightly warmer than the canon FD
lenses I believe. It weighs about 1.1 Kg, turning  photography into a real
sport. Still, it has its own charm and will give you an image at f:1.5.
When stopped down, the definition becomes very good and uniform but it
still lack a little contrast - good for B&W prints.

This proves my point.  I have one of these which has pretty fair image
quality wide open, solid definition and sound contrast.  But it was the
SECOND one I bought:  the first one was like yours, and was a probable
victim of poor SPS QC/QA.

These guys take standard 67mm filters and hoods, so I just went down to my
local camera emporium and picked up a Tiffen or somesuch rubber hood for $5.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!