Subject: [Leica] Slides from color negatives
From: "Roy Zartarian" <rzartarian@snet.net>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 23:28:36 -0400

LUGs,

I'm jotting down my experience with Kodak SO-279 Vericolor Slide
Film in the hopes that someone on the LUG may someday find it
useful. SO-279 is designed specifically to produce positives from
color negatives.  It appears to be a fine grain color negative film
without the orange mask.

I recently exposed and processed several rolls of the film in
preparation for a talk and slide show which included images
originally taken on color negative fim.  The occasion was one where
I could not take the digital approach.

Kodak's documentation is a bit sketchy especially for exposing the
film with a camera.  Through experimentation, I found that rating
the film at 2 or 1 for TTL metering worked best.  With the R8, I set
the ISO to 8, then added +2 or +2 1/2 stops with the exposure
compensation lever.

The film calls for a tungsten light source, so I used the focusing
light of a Bowens Illumitran for illumination.

For filtration, I began with the 20M and 30Y as indicated by Kodak,
then adjusted the pack according to the changes printed on the
film carton.  In my case, the carton indicated +5M and +15Y, so
my final filtration was 25M and 45Y.

The camera set up was an R8 body, viso-to-R adapter, focusing
bellows 2, and a 50 mm Nikkor enlarging lens.  With everything in
place and the lens stopped down to 5.6, I set the R8 mode to A
and let the on board metering do the exposure.  I bracketed by
increasing the exposure in steps to +3 stops.

Since I was using bulk loaded film, I knew the local Cheapco 1
hour lab was out of the question.  Turnaround time was also a
consideration so I did my own C41 processing with the Jobo.

The color and resolution of the results were most acceptable once
individual frames were placed in slide mounts.  The processed film
base is clear and the unmounted images did not look quite right to
an eye accustomed to seeing a positive framed in the black base
of E6 film.

Granted, an original transparency would be better and as
circumstances permit I am making replacement images on real
slide film.  But as a stopgap measure, this stuff worked.

Roy