Subject: [Leica] WASRe: 35-70mm zoom NOW: the no carry on question.
From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 07:26:40 -0700

Sal DiMarco,Jr. wrote:
>>However, to permanently do something like banning all carry on baggage is
foolish. Frank Van Riper in his Sunday camera column says Pan Am will not
allow carry ons. OK, I will not fly Pan Am. The business traveler who uses
his/her flying time to work, will not fly on an airline which will not
permit
> him/her to carry on their brief case and lap top. Pan Am will lose too
much
> business, if they continue.<<<<

Hi Sal,
That's the simplest answer to "no carry on at all" They are not the only
airline flying to ones destination, therefore don't fly with them.  Unless
of course the FAA of the USA sets the rules in such a manner for all
airlines. Not likely!

However, what I would like to see them ban are all those great big packages,
and other oversize bags that wont go under the seat and or take-up half the
overhead bins. Hell even those smaller handle/wheel equipped suit cases.

It isn't photographer's with one or two cases that create a problem, it's
the people with everything but the kitchen sink carried on board.

At one time I always carried my 280 and it's attached camera in it's metal
case and my shoulder bag on board, one went right under the seat, the other
the overhead bin, perfect. Even as simple as that was I had run in's with
the mental midget security people who refused me taking both on board, "they
wont both fit under your seat!"

It wasn't until I lost my cool one day with pure exasperation I asked if the
person had ever been on a plane and understood where things were stowed that
I discovered.... he'd never been on a plane of the size we were boarding!
And the security type was merely mouthing the local doctrine "it has to fit
under the seat in front of the passenger!" He had no idea one could put
items underseat and overhead. And we're entrusting our lives to the "for
profit security system?" Certainly as it was organized in Canada.

"Excuse me would you mind getting your supervisor? Thank you"  problem
solved.

However! Today? Not on your life am I ever going to get into a major
discussion as I'm going to be nail file clean and as simple an amount of
gear I have to carry until things cool down a little.

And given in two weeks I fly to Portland , Maine through Chicago from
Vancouver to the Leica Seminar,  I'm not looking forward to the line-ups and
extra security.  But I will remain calm and cool at all times, frustrated
internally maybe, but I'd much rather arrive at MY destination than not
arrive at all!
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant