Subject: Re: [Leica] End of R line [was: Tri-Asph]
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2001 15:56:07 -0400

Yes, it has been predicted for quite a while - and with each quarter's
financial results, the losses incurred on the R line have increased
while, lately, the M line sales have improved. Alas, wishing that the
Leica reflexes will survive will not make it so. And "cutting ballast"
by eliminating one of the few quality all mechanical reflex bodies
around is hardly the way to keep a small line alive. Realistically, the
better way to go would be to eliminate the R8, which, while I know it
has it fans and staunch defenders, is a neither/nor kind of camera -
neither a small, simple mechanical reflex, nor a fully-loaded
state-of-the-art competitor for the Nikon and Canon flag ships.

B.D.