Subject: [Leica] 35/2 UC-Hexanon in LTM
From: "dante@umich.edu" <dante@umich.edu>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 19:11:52 -0400

Someone asked what to put on a Bessa-R... This is the one to put on
anything.  I bought this because Leica doesn't make a 35/2 pre-ASPH in
screwmount, and I wanted to be able to hook it up to my Canon P.

I got one of these in the mail today, from the new run of 1000.  I am
posting the MTF and construction details at

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~dante/352/352.html

About the construction - holy ****.  Black enamel finish, heavy as hell for
such a teeny lens, beautiful machining; the finish on the focusing cam and
lens mount simply gleam.  The hood is vented and machined and black-painted
(putting this one away).  Even comes with its own leather case.  I guess you
get something for your 124,000 yen.  Focuses to 0.9m; 43mm filter size; much
smaller than the 35/2 pre-ASPH Summicron I have.

Needless to say we are going to do some exhaustive performance and
qualitative comparisons between the two.  Twenty years may dethrone my
Summicron (although the designs have diverged significantly; the K lens has
a significantly flatter rear element than the L or the original 35/2 Hexar
lens - and you will see why at the link above).  I am very, very curious.
But I have to go see my brother, who just came home from a year in France.

Does anyone have an MTF chart for the pre-asph Summicron, specifically f/2
and f/5.6?

Cheers
Dante