Subject: [Leica] eyeballing exposures
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 21:45:24 -0400

For those of us on this list not earning our daily bread with our leica's
comes the opportunity to experiment with little consequence.  Specifically,
with exposure, I enjoy pulling out either the M-3 or the IIIF and attempt to
get good exposures in all conditions eyeballing the light using negative
stock.  As others have mentioned, the human eye is an amazingly bad exposure
meter. However, the human eye is amazingly good at comparing light.

The trick I've found for me is to both memorize the sunny 16 rules
especially for deep shade but more importantly to remember what works.  So,
either by remembering meter settings in specific situations or remembering
what my camera was set at and looking at images within a roll or two in most
situations a good educated guess can be created.  With 400 speed film in
office/school/shopping a base exposure of 60@F4 gives good results.  Then,
counting bulbs in the commercial versus the dimmer or brighter you
add/subtract exposure.  Likewise, if with 400 speed film my daughter playing
the flute by one incandescent bulb(60 watts) gives me 8@F2 then I have a
base to start for other interior situations.

With some effort this is no different than learning where your lens is
focused by feel of the tab for the M shooters among us.

With a good idea of what the exposure should be I have frequently saved
money/honor/charity  by knowing when to not trust the meter in my camera.

Rants to get my mind off events elsewhere in the world

Don Dory
dorysrus@mindspring.com