Subject: Re: [Leica] Light leak not art
From: John Collier <jbcollier@powersurfr.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2001 22:56:20 -0600

It looks like an internal light leak to me. Past the lens mount, missing
baffle under the viewfinder or something like that. Fortunately there is a
fairly easy way to find out. Take off the camera back, put on your usual
lens with a good tight lens cap on and use a locking cable release on "B" to
hold the shutter open. Next duct tape a light proof cloth or material around
the back of the camera so you can get in and look in the back but shut most
extraneous light out. Now turn on a very bright light or go outside on a
sunny day and stick your head in and find out where it is coming from. Shift
the camera around so that all sides get exposed to the light. If there is a
leak, you should be able to find it.

John Collier

PS: One Leica-User, after extensive testing similar to the above, found
light leaking around the bayonet mount.