Subject: Re: [Leica] Neopan 1600
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 16:24:03 -0700

Steve Rowell wrote:

> Okay all you Neopan experts. I have a bunch of Neopan
> 1600 that I want to shoot at 400 - 800. I noticed on
> the Agfa web page, under the Rodinal processing chart
> they recommend an effective speed of 640 for 1 + 50
> processing. On other charts I've seen 1600 for the
> same time and temp. Anybody know which is correct?
>
> Thanks,
> Steve Rowell

Sure but why the heck would  you want to shoot it at 400 or 800?
You'll got dead on gorgeous negs at 1600 with full shadow detail.
Have you been constantly getting negs which are thin in the shadows?
There really is no other reason Steve!
Over exposure is not pretty! :)

You don't get a richer fuller more friendly neg. You get mush.

All these options on these development charts are not supposed to get  your
creative juices flowing.
As I see it they are not creative options. It's babble.
Each film as a certain speed with the developer you're using and you base that
speed on shadow detail.
You don't just pick a nice sounding number and i think a lot of people do that.
"I KNOW!!! Acufine at 3200 1:4!!! Wow!!! WHAT A COMBINATION!!!"
I would never do that.

I assume the number on the box is correct and go out and do some bracketing with
my first roll and then make a stab at a development time. Try to make some
prints and then go from there. Adjusting my development time accordingly. If my
shadows are thin then i reduce my fill speed. Such as Delta 3200 which is 1200
in any developer I've used with it.

Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon
USA