Subject: Re: [Leica] Canadian/US relationship
From: Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: 13 Sep 2001 09:54:04 -0700

On Thu, 13 September 2001, Robert Beaudoin wrote:

> Bonjour,
>
>   Regarding the recent rambling about the fact that the US is alone and
> has no support from other countries when it is in need.  Now, I may not
> be one individual who could be qualified as a true all canadian patriot,
> however I will say that regarding Canada  it seems that sometimes some of
> our american friends have a rather short memory span.
>
>   Simply remember 1980 in Iran.  It is clearly the Canadian ambassador to
> that country who directly helped (risking his own life) in the protection
> and release of many US citizen hostages.  Don t you remember the TV
> footage showing Jimmy Carter speaking to Joe Clark to thank him and
> almost litterately kissing his feet?  Only a couple of hours after the
> event, drivers whose car bore a Canadian license plate, driving in the
> US, were served free gas and free food, typical of US citizens enthusiasm
>
>   The US has friends and Canada has many time stood besides her in time
> of need.
>
>   Now where is that old Canadian fart Ted when you need him?
>
>   Tata,
>
>   Robert (Unchevalier sans blason)

Below is an excerpt from a private message I wrote to another Canadian LUGger.  Canada and the USA have had their differences and I'm certain will have more in the future but on the whole I'm very glad the USA has a neighbor such as Canada.

I've never questioned Canada's willingness
or ability to come to the aid of any nation in need.  IMHO Canada is the
best neighbor the US could have, and the fact that the longest un-militarized
international boundary is between the US and Canada speaks well of both
nations.

There are many other countries that could be as good a neighbor but Canada,
because of proximity, has repeatedly demonstrated its character.  Besides,
one of my favorite lenses (on topic) is engraved "MADE IN CANADA" with
obvious and justified pride.

I'm sure that when the US and the rest of the world has recovered from this Canada's role in the rescue and recovery, and in tracking the terrorists, will be properly
acknowledged.

<<<

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento