Subject: re: [Leica] Kodachome processing
From: "Howard Sanner" <flagstad@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 22:57:21 +0000

>I shot some Kodachrome on my summer vacation to try out my new
>R8.

   [Sad story snipped]

>Does anyone know of a lab that will process Kodachrome in a
>timely and careful manner?

   I've always been extremely pleased with A&I in Hollywood. See
http://www.aandi.com. Mailers are $5.50 apiece for K-14 and E-6
processing, which works out to about half the price of just
sending rolls in. The possibly bad thing is that you have to buy
ten. You can also get A&I mailers from B&H in any quantity, but
then you have to pay shipping.

   Typical turnaround has been 5-7 days, and I'm on the opposite
side of the country from A&I. I've always had them mount mine,
and I've never asked for anything fancy, like push processing,
which they will do on Kodachrome. I think you can get same day or
next day turnaround if you're in the L.A. area and drop off the
film at the N. Highland Ave. lab, but I may well be wrong about
this.

   Kodak seems to be trying its best to kill Kodachrome, as your
story demonstrates, which is really, really sad. There's nothing
that looks quite like it, and no one makes a directly competing
product. I think the Leitz lenses and Kodachrome is a marriage
made in heaven.

						Howard Sanner
						flagstad@mindspring.com