Subject: Re: [Leica] Using Leicas for sports/action photography?
From: Howard Sanner <flagstad@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 15:10:28 -0400

jemmett@frontier.net (John David Emmett)9/7/0110:09 PM

> So does anyone have tips for shooting sports with an m6?

	My first suggestion would be: Don't.

	I tried photographing a couple of ice skating shows
(professionals and olympic competitors skating) with my M3. If I
got one frame per roll that was both in focus and reasonably
properly exposed, it was a miracle. The problem that immediately
became apparent was that with the RF patch in the middle of the
VF, it was next to impossible to focus, re-compose, and shoot
while the skater was still in focus.

	The following week I had to do it again at another show. That
time I used one of my Nikkormat FTn's, which I realize is an
obscenity on this list. The percentage of technically acceptable
shots (we won't argue artistry here!) dramatically increased.
This was because focus can be evaluated throught the entire
viewing screen. Learning to follow focus with a manual focus
camera comes pretty quickly, at least for me. The much bigger
problem, once I switched to the SLR, was keeping the exposures OK
with the quickly and widely changing light levels.

	In sum, I think Leica rangefinder cameras are wonderful tools. I
think flare nut wrenches are wonderful tools, too. Just as I
wouldn't want to rebuild an engine using flare nut wrenches (but
could if I *had* to), I wouldn't want to photograph fast-moving
sports with a rangefinder camera (but, again, I could if there
were no other way. Probably). The Leica M camera just isn't the
right tool for this job.

	I'm sure I'll get a lot of flames for this, but it's still, IMO,
true.

					Howard Sanner
					flagstad@mindspring.com