Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: 280mm f/2.8 APO-Telyt-R
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2001 20:25:34 -0700

At 12:00 PM -0700 9/9/01, Mark Rabiner wrote:
>John B wrote:
>>
>>  The test in the German mag was over the Leica MODULAR system
>>2.8/280mm.   The one where you can change the front group of
>>elements and or the back group of elements to obtain different
>>focal length/aperture combinations..  All tests I've seen over the
>>NON MODULAR 2.8/280 indicate this is indeed an excellent lens, it's
>>a pity this lens is no longer made.  The same can not be said for
>>the Leica MODULAR system. "Adequate" to quote one magazine.
>>
>>  John B
>>
>IN general quoting magazines does not cut it for me any more it kind
>of grates.
>I've gotten cynical in my old age I guess.
>
>Which magazine would give Leica and the Leica MODULAR system a fair shot?
>I cant keep up with it!
>I think the magazines have an interest in making it appear that all
>brands with
>similar advertising budgets are roughly equal. Everyones in the ballgame.
>
>The hypotenuse is roughly equal to the combined advertising budget.
>

>Mark Rabiner
>
>Portland, Oregon
>USA
>
>http://www.rabiner.cncoffice.com/

Actually, Colorphoto is one magazine that tends to overpromote German
made products at the expense of Japanese (except, strangely,
Sigma???). On the whole, if you see a list of their lenses and
results, they seem in line and reasonable. The problem is as usual
that they have a one-number result for optical quality, and
inevitably they use a weighting system for all the factors that is
their own and might not be yours.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design