Subject: Re: [Leica] Opinions: Leica 280mm F2.8 APO Telyt Lens
From: "Roy Zartarian" <royzart@connix.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2001 07:24:03 -0400

The second version of this magnificent beast had a slot for internal
filters; the first version did not.  Leitz provided with the first version
a clear 112mm filter and dictated that the filter was to be used at
all times except when shooting into the sun. I have the first version
and  in actual use found that the filter was a dust magnet that
degraded the images, so it stays in the case.

Now that the fall bird migration is starting in my area, the 280 is
again going afield, most recently in the quest for what may have
been a most unusual wren. Despite its weight and bulk I find the
results (when the birds and I do our respective parts) most
satisfactory.

I had the opportunity to try the modular version for a day about two
years ago. It, too, is a very nice lens and the integrated carrying
handle is convenient. However, to my eye, a comparison of the
slides from each version do not show enough of a difference to pay
out the price of a decent used car to upgrade.

Roy