Subject: Re: [Leica] wk36/sl
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2001 15:29:35 -0400

> > From: "Steve LeHuray" <icommag@toad.net>
> > Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2001 09:21:33 -0500
> > To: Leica <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>, LEG <leica@topica.com>, SP
> > <streetphoto@topica.com>
> > Subject: [Leica] wk36/sl
>

> > Last week I was walking around the White House area where in a couple weeks
> > I will be there for 2 or 3 days because of the upcoming WTO/IMF protests.
> > 100,000 protesters are predicted to show up. The authorities are going to be
> > building a 2 mile long, 9' high fence around the White House and WTO/IMF
> > buildings which is supposed to keep the protesters away.

Protesters, hell! The President of my alma mater, George Washington University -
"In The Heart of The Nation's Capital" has announced he is closing the place down
for 5 days and is forcing students to leave the dorms and, in effect, go home. The
school is providing emergency travel loans, etc. etc. The Pres., a guy named
Trachtenberg, says he is doing this to protect the university buildings and the
students. The students say he is doing it to keep them from joining the protests.
Why do I believe the students?

In my day the overflow of every major anti-Vietnam War demonstration ended up
spilling across the GW campus....Ah, those were the days...Late fall afternoons,
fading autumnal light, the perfume of tear gas wafting across the campus, with D.
C. and Park Police chasing fleeing demonstrators down G Street! Boolah! Boolah!

> > Well anyway, I hope this keeps me out of jail:
> > http://www.streetphoto.net/images/im44.jpg

The image, too, takes me back - But the guy on my old one has hair - it's really
old! - and with it is a Washington Post ID card, which was a bright orange, the
idea being that the cops would spot it mid-riot and pause in mid-batton swing,
thereby sparing your scalp numerous stitches.

"Those were the days, my friend, I thought they'd never end..."

B. D.

(Been there, Done just about all of that :-) )