Subject: Re: [Leica] Using Leicas for sports/action photography?
From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 09:18:47 -0700

Albert Wang wrote:;
>>I was just wondering whether how good are Leica cameras in terms of taking
sports or action shots where a fast focus/high shutter speed is necessary? I
know that the Leica R8 has its fastest shutter speed at 1/8000 although it
is entirely manual focus which makes it very difficult to capture a hockey
game for example... is that the reason that I hardly see any Leica cameras
at the Philly Flyers games? :)<<<<

Albert,
Dismiss any thoughts about R cameras and in particular the R8 without A/F
not being good for sport action. The R8 with it's 1/8000 shutter speed is
fine, although I must say I can't ever recall using a shutter speed that
high on any camera while shooting the Olympics, NFL, NHL, World
Championships, Pan American or Commonwealth Games. F1 or Indy cars.

It isn't required, although I suppose some non-sport shooters may think you
require that high a shutter speed.

The autofocus is handy sometimes for sports, yes it does allow one to
capture more "sharp images" not necessarily better pictures than manual
focus. Those of us over the years who've done a considerable amount of sport
photography learn where to focus before the action happens or we just follow
focus the athlete on the run. No we're not always 100% successful, but then
neither is A/F! ;-)

As far as shooting hockey with manual focus it's a piece of cake as the main
pictures come from just in front of the net with the action of the goalie
and players scrambling for the puck. or a goal being scored and the red
light on.

As far as the movement up and down the ice much of that isn't relevant
because they are just skating hard going in a direction away from you or
coming at you... another piece of cake.

Now don't take this as being anti A/F, it's not. I just feel too many people
put their trust in autofocus far too much and if the autofcus stops, they
haven't developed the manual focus re-action skills in handling the camera
to still get solid in focus images.
ted