Subject: [Leica] practical question - or should it be saved for Friday?
From: AppleMac97@aol.com
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 10:05:24 EDT

Dear Martin:

US$3,110 is too much for the outfit described below.  You can buy all of the
lenses in 3-cam version on EBAY or from a reputed dealer for less money.  If
you scan recent EBAY listings, you will probably find the following price
ranges for the equipment.  Price depends greatly on the age and condition of
the equipment.

Black Leicaflex SL  $400-$500
Elmarit 2.8/180 - good condition (EX+)  $400-$600
Summicron 2/50 - lens barrel shows visible signs of wear $150-$250
Summicron 2/90 - diaphragm doesn't operate properly; sticks halfway; needs
repair  $200-$500
Summicron 2/35 - lens barrel shows slight signs of wear $300-$500

Sincerely,

Muhammad R.K. Chishty, Ph.D
Associate Professor of Finance
Graham School of Management
Saint Xavier University
3700 West 103rd St
Chicago, IL 60655, USA

<<<<<Dear LUGgers,

I'd like to get your advice on older Leicaflex/lens prices/quality
(as this involves money although I'm not selling anything, I probably can
wait till Fridy for answers - or receive them privately!  ;-)  )    -

I got an offer to buy a set consisting of:

Black Leicalflex SL  (No. 137xxxx - if I got it right), shows little wear;
might be an EX; meter seems operational; cloth shutter hasn't been used a
while, so there's a roller mark on it;

As far as I understand, these are 2-cam lenses that go with it:

Elmarit 2.8/180 - good condition (EX+)

Summicron 2/50 - lens barrel shows visible signs of wear

Summicron 2/90 - diaphragm doesn't operate properly; sticks halfway; needs
repair

Summicron 2/35 - lens barrel shows slight signs of wear

Glass seems good, no obvious cleaning marks (But then I feel I have to get
me _glasses_ ! ;-(    )

Asking price is USD 3110 (Currently this sum is not available to me)

1) What might it cost to convert/+ repair them for use with my R7?
(Suggestions . . . I understand I have to contact some L~ dealer, but
there's no-one in my vicinity)
2) Is it a good deal? I.e., s the price good (for these old type lenses -
including conversion price)?
I understand, if converted, the lenses remain fully compatible with the SL?
3) I've got a nice 90/2.8 for my R7; does it make sense to invest in that
dubious 90/2, even if it's smaller - what could it's optical qualities be,
if it regains operationability?

Martin>>>>>>>>>