Subject: Re: [Leica] practical question - or should it be saved for Friday?
From: Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: 5 Sep 2001 08:44:29 -0700

On Wed, 05 September 2001, "Mārtiņš Zelmenis" wrote:

> Dear LUGgers,
>
> I'd like to get your advice on older Leicaflex/lens prices/quality
> (as this involves money although I'm not selling anything, I probably can
> wait till Fridy for answers - or receive them privately!  ;-)  )    -
>
> I got an offer to buy a set consisting of:
>
> Black Leicalflex SL  (No. 137xxxx - if I got it right), shows little wear;
> might be an EX; meter seems operational; cloth shutter hasn't been used a
> while, so there's a roller mark on it;
>
> As far as I understand, these are 2-cam lenses that go with it:
>
> Elmarit 2.8/180 - good condition (EX+)
>
> Summicron 2/50 - lens barrel shows visible signs of wear
>
> Summicron 2/90 - diaphragm doesn't operate properly; sticks halfway; needs
> repair
>
> Summicron 2/35 - lens barrel shows slight signs of wear
>

> Glass seems good, no obvious cleaning marks (But then I feel I have to get
> me _glasses_ ! ;-(    )
>
> Asking price is USD 3110 (Currently this sum is not available to me)
>
> 1) What might it cost to convert/+ repair them for use with my R7?

A 3-cam conversion may be about $100 per lens.  Independant repair technicians will charge less than Leica will.

> (Suggestions . . . I understand I have to contact some L~ dealer, but
> there's no-one in my vicinity)
> 2) Is it a good deal? I.e., s the price good (for these old type lenses -
> including conversion price)?

No, I'd say the package is over-priced by at least USD 1,000

> I understand, if converted, the lenses remain fully compatible with the SL?

Yes.  A 3-cam or 3-cam converted lens is the most universal R lens.

> 3) I've got a nice 90/2.8 for my R7; does it make sense to invest in that
> dubious 90/2, even if it's smaller - what could it's optical qualities be,
> if it regains operationability?

The 90 Elmarit-R, old or new version, is regarded as an outstanding lens.  The 90 Summicron-R is also a very fine lens but the only advantages it has over the Elmarit-R are the compact size (vs. the older Elmarit-R) and f/2.0.  Otherwise the Elmarit-R's optical qualities are superior to the Summicron-R

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe