Subject: Re: [Leica] One more shot: Soapstone Valley with Noctilux
From: "George Kenney" <georgekenney@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2001 22:39:04 -0400

About three blocks from where I live, just about a hundred yards off
of Connecticut Avenue, is a tributary stream of Rock Creek called
Soapstone Creek. Its origin now bottled up somewhere, the creek
emerges from a huge concrete culvert to meander down thru
several neighborhoods until it reaches Rock Creek Park. Like
Rock Creek Park, Soapstone Valley is also a National Park
(probably one of the smallest).

Most people who live around here don't know about Soapstone
Valley, as it is so well hidden away. It's behind a very busy, built up
street, now becoming crowded with large buildings (the Intelsat
complex in my other scan is two blocks away). Hard to miss a huge
park, you'd think, but it kind of blends in between leafy side streets.
Soapstone Vally is plenty big enough to run a dog, a little over half a
mile long and about two hundred yards wide -- just enough space
so that you can hear lawnmowers going but only occasionally
glimpse houses. The stream bed supposedly contains a goodly
quantity of soapstone; according to local legend it was once an
Indian quarry.

I developed the Tech-pan film myself. I think this was an earlier,
less than successful effort, as the negative has lots of scratches.
But on the good side this was after I learned that Technidol is about
the only way to get reasonable contrast out of Tech-pan, so this
negative is, I think, beginning to show some potential.

I have a medium format shot of this same scene that turned out
much better, and that I made into a nice wet print. I tried to do a wet
print with the negative scanned here but had a difficult time with it,
probably because of hot spots, but I forget now, and anyway never
got a print quite to my liking. I do like the scene, nevertheless, and
intend to reshoot it periodically.