Subject: Re: [Leica] Stolen Leicas--how do you prevent that from happening?
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2001 11:30:23 -0700

"Sal DiMarco,Jr." wrote:

> B.D.,
>     Everybody has their opinions, however misguided...
>     The most universally recognized camera bag by the general public (read
> thieves) is the Domke bag><Snip>

A beige Domke bag yes! Sal! Which they call "Sand." But one of mine is a black
what they call "ballistic" bag, which is just a choice of fabric. Becuase of
this non canvas fabric you would not know it was a Domke except for the
suspicious label on the corner of the front flap which says: Domke.
I grab this F6 (little big smaller) bag and tell everyone I'm doing a black bag
job and laugh hysterically.

Also as another disguise they have another color pros would not normally be
caught dead with: Navy.
An insolent nautical Navy for people who want to look like the yacht club let
them in. Kind of happy go lucky yuppie suburban. Does not try to blend in; so it
does. My F-3X is Navy and getting to be my favorite bag for when i want to bring
pretty much my entire Leica system to a shoot. The bad guys are thinking: "Only
an idiot would carry something expensive in that bag!". The Navy bags are an
excellent grade of canvas though.

But as i pick out bags to hold a stack of prints to bring on the plane with me
or ship i think:
"Does this look like a laptop bag?" Because THAT i hear is what they are really after.

Gee do i really need to watch DVD's on the airplane and type out emails between
working on the great American novel? No I'll get a 16x20 easel for my darkroom
and a wood tripod.

Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon
USA